“Oh no! Not braces!”
Braces no longer need to be something that your teen dreads. In fact, the Pitts21 Braces System, used for years by elite orthodontists all over the world and now available here at WingHaven® Orthodontics, has brackets placed closer to the gums and are therefore less visible, while helping to create that WOW smile in an incredibly efficient time! They make life with braces much easier, more comfortable, and more stylish than in the past. Dr. Cheryl L. Held and her team are early adopters of this world class, lightning quick braces system, and are proud to be bringing it to patients to our area.
For those teens who are candidates, Invisalign® can be used for orthodontic treatment. This technology involves clear removable Aligners, fabricated through advanced 3D imaging to align the teeth.
Here at WingHaven® Orthodontics, we will do everything that we can to get you the amazing smile that you want as quickly as possible!
When To Get Braces?
Dr. Held will let you know the ideal time to start braces, as start time is determined on a case by case basis. Between the ages of 11 and 15 is the most common time for full orthodontic treatment (including Phase II orthodontic treatment) for preteens and teens, and for good reasons. By 12, most if not all of the permanent teeth have erupted and are in place, and crooked teeth, gaps, and bad bites can easily be detected in the newly full dentition. These problems will hardly ever correct themselves, so this is when most parents decide to begin full orthodontic treatment (including Phase II Treatment) for their children.
This is also a good time for orthodontic treatment because many negative associations of braces are not present. Many children in this age range undergo orthodontic treatment, and children are very often more willing to wear braces because they see their friends wearing them, too, and want to fit in.
Besides the benefits of fitting in with their friends, children at this age have high metabolisms, which can help shorten overall treatment time and reduce the discomfort of orthodontic treatment.
How Long Will My Teen Have to Wear Braces?
The amount of time that it takes to treat your smile with braces depends upon three key factors:
1. Early Treatment
- Early treatment enables Dr. Held to monitor the growth of the jaw and recommend further orthodontic treatment if necessary.
- Not everybody receives early orthodontic treatment. In some cases, Dr. Held may recommend that your child waits until later to receive treatment.
2. What Needs Correction
- The amount of treatment needed to correct a problem will determine how long the process takes.
- Different patients react to treatments differently. While it may take one patient only 12 months to complete treatment, it may take another 24 months.
- The treatment time depends upon how quickly your teen’s body responds and how much work it takes to give your teen the show-stopping smile they desire.
- Your willingness to use the appliances properly that Dr. Held gives you plays a major role in the length of time that it takes to complete your treatment.
- Always remember to take care of your braces and appliances; this truly will help to make your treatment shorter!
Orthodontic braces are a big part of life for many teenagers in O’Fallon, MO, and nationwide. Though they might have had a bad reputation in the past, today’s braces make it easy to look and feel good!
Schedule An Appointment Now!
Call our office for a complimentary initial examination! Dr. Held will be able to determine the best time for the treatment, outline the treatment plan, and estimate the treatment duration expected, while Michaela will review your investment for the orthodontic treatment.